If you won a jackpot worth 100 million US Dollars how would you react? What is the single most important question that you need to ask yourself regarding this windfall?
Although you may be too excited to be rational, I believe that the first question ought to be, “What is the best way to invest this money to give me the best return and guarantee me a life of bliss thereafter.
Whereas many people would be in cloud nine if they were lucky to win such a jackpot, we fail to realize that there is something that we have that is more precious, more valuable and which if prudently invested would give us the best life ever.
Think of the things that your heart and soul crave for – lots of money, big job or business, big car, big house, beautiful spouse, great kids, great health, spiritual and mental wellbeing, adventure and others. These are things that we wish we can have so as to live in full abundance.
But would you really need these things if you were ever depressed, sickly, insane or even dead. Would you need these things if you were not there?
Each of us, without exception, aspires to do, to be and to have more in life. Yet most of us are unaware of what enables the physical, financial, relational, emotional and spiritual harmony that so many of us consistently seek to become and remain successful in life.
The vast majority of people in the world today are still seeking for answers, alternatives and solutions to a ‘better and more efficient way’ that will empower them to lead a more fulfilling life. Most of us are still seeking success which so many of the traditionally established methodologies like formal education, religion, employment or even entrepreneurship, and which we have looked up to in the past, have failed to provide.
The point I am trying to drive is that YOU are the most important asset on this earth as far as your success is concerned. Without you there is no you and there is no life for you which means you actually won’t need anything in this world if you weren’t there in the first place.
You are the major key to your life; the most invaluable asset for your ultimate success. The big question is, “How are you investing yourself?”
Eric Hoffer, a great American teacher said, “The learners shall inherit the earth, the educated find themselves beautifully equipped with paper degrees to deal with a world that no longer exists”.
There is a difference between learning and schooling. People who are schooled end becoming labourers in life whilst those who learn become investors and owners. The most regretful thing is that we are raised to virtually deify an education degree. Education has been oversold as the only conduit through which true success can be attained, yet the pursuance of the degrees has not delivered this promise of a blissful life. The education system all over the world has woefully neglected one fundamental subject to human greatness – ‘how to discover self’.
The truth is that every human being has unlimited capacity to achieve success and live fulfilled. This potential or ability is within. Even more gratifying is the truth that we all have been divinely wired with an infallible formula to guide us into this success. Why then don’t we achieve this level of success? We don’t know what we have.
Due to this ignorance, and in a vain attempt to ‘sprint in a field laced with landmines while blind’ we end up critically hurting ourselves or blowing up our life. Many of us have engaged in destructive habits oblivious of their long term lethal repercussions.
Your behaviour or character, which reflects who you are, determines your level of productivity and success in life. Actually, success and life fulfilment is nothing more than your character. The foundation and driver of a truly fulfilling life is character.
Where does character come from?
Your character is acquired through the environment you interact with and more specifically through five ways;
- Sense of sight – what you watch regularly is sending a certain message which, with time, gets ‘planted’ in your mind and becomes a habit almost effortlessly. By persistently watching sexually explicit materials one can easily get addicted to pornography, by watching horror and bloodletting movies one can easily turn into violence and murder.
- Sense of hearing – what you get used to listening and hearing eventually brainwashes you into accepting and acting it. If you grew up where negative words were always used you become pessimistic about your own abilities and life. An example is if you get used to listening to a certain genre of music which communicates a common message, you will end up being influenced or aligned to live that message.
- Sense of taste – what you get used to tasting will oftentimes lead to cravings. Some people have cravings for chocolate, coffee, tea, alcohol and others. Every alcoholic person started with a mere sip, which they didn’t even like in the first place, but did it again and again until habit took over.
- Sense of smell- what you get used to smelling will eventually create an irresistible urge to smell it often. Things like drugs, cigarette, shisha, perfume, aromas and others.
- Sense of touch – You become fond of what you touch regularly. Have you ever noted people who unconsciously keep touching ‘inappropriate’ parts of their bodies even in public? Or still those who keep harassing others sexually since they can never keep their hands off somebody?
If you had a safe with 100 million US Dollars would you throw it into a first raging river? You are much more worth than this amount, you are the most precious asset in YOUR life. Why then do you keep mutilating yourself? How much longer do you wish to remain enslaved by habits that you know too well will eventually lead to self-destruction? When will you gather the courage to say no? Why have you allowed people to hijack your life only to redirect you in the highway of death?
You are the number 1 asset in your life, invest YOU wisely.